Despite the wide spectrum of blockchain applications and their proven potential to disrupt fundamental societal processes and institutions, there is very little research on their non-technical, societal, economic, policy and legal implications. Without funded research we can only speculate on how blockchain applications may affect our everyday practices, institutions, and laws. To address this gap, the BLOCKCHAIN & SOCIETY project will focus on 3 questions:
- What internal factors contribute to the success of a blockchain application?
- How does society adopt blockchain?
- How to regulate blockchain?
The details are here:
- What is blockchain technology?
- Why does blockchain matter?
- Research questions and objectives
- Work packages
- WP1 – a coherent multidisciplinary conceptual framework
- WP2 – develop a multi-methods approach
- WP3 – Mapping the most important blockchain projects, their governance, and assess their disruptive potential.
- WP4 – Documenting blockchain adoption and assessing its societal impact.
- WP5 – Inventory of emerging policy responses, and policy tool assessment